Sunday, May 1, 2011

Lawn Mowers







I always love this time of year. The grass is starting to grow and turn the yard green again. The horses have been cooped up in their “pasture” all winter long. (We really don’t have pasture, it’s just what you would call a “dry lot” and the horses are fed hay year round). So when the yard starts to green up again I like to turn them loose to graze. They’re my organic lawn mowers! The yard is all fenced so all I have to do is put a fake “hot wire” across the driveway which keeps them from heading off to visit the neighbors. 

They’re happy when I open the gate and let them out. Hungrily, they cruise from blade to blade, nipping off the sweet, new grass and eating like they might not get another chance. I head back indoors as they continue. Every once in a while they get a wild hair and go thundering around the yard, which always gets the dogs barking and me usually heading to a window to see what’s going on. 

Their winter coats are shedding out, so occasionally they find a comfy spot and drop down to roll back and forth, scratching their hide and ridding themselves of their winter leftovers. After several hours their tummies are full and they find a warm, sunny spot to lie down and nap. Ahh…they look so cozy and content! It’s relaxing just to watch them.

At this point I head for my camera to snap a few pictures… my lawn mowers have run out of fuel. But when I open the kitchen door they are curious and rise from their resting spots to come investigate. Austin quickly grabs some refueling food out of the frig for them…..carrots, of course. They happily take the treats and munch away.
FOR RENT: Organic, ride-on lawn mowers. Mows, fertilizes and re-fuels automatically, and at the same time! Comes in various sizes and colors. Models may vary, depending on availability. Even trimming and fertilizing not guaranteed! Prices and availability subject to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment