Sunday, August 21, 2011

Artichokes!

I love artichokes! Artichokes were a part of growing up in sunny California. Since I now live in zone 5, artichokes are not something you would normally see grown around here. But when I saw those cute, little spiky plants in Wal-Mart this spring, I couldn't resist getting a couple.

So into the greenhouse they went.

A few months later the first little vegies were ready to pick. Sure, they were small, more like micro-artichokes, but, hey, they're artichokes just the same!

I waited until I had a few to cook together and everyone in the family could have a taste. It was more like a snack or hors d' oeuvre, but still a taste of home. Yum!





I'm not sure how the plants will fair through the winter. But we'll try to pull them through somehow, maybe a straw bale house around them or maybe digging them up and bringing them inside. Whatever we can do so maybe next year we can have an even bigger crop!

No comments:

Post a Comment