Thursday, October 20, 2011

Homemade Salsa

Ok, my claim to fame is definitely not salsa. My kids call mine "tomato sauce". But that's before I got some expert advice from my Mexican friend. That's the key, find someone who knows what they're doing!

Roasting comes first. She uses three peppers. Two jalapeno and one yellow pepper. Or, was it two yellow peppers and one jalapeno? Anyways, about three peppers. I actually only used two on this day.
Put those in a pan and roast them up good. And since I had room, I threw some tomatoes in at the same time.
Roll your pan around every now and then so they get good and roasted on all sides.

I had to share this picture too. See that little green jalapeno pepper. Yeah, the blurry one. I wasn't moving the pan around. That little spicy guy was hopping around all by himself!
Anyways, make sure the tomatoes and peppers are roasted up good all over.

Next I cut the peppers up a bit (for my blenders sake) and throw them and the tomatoes into the blender. Add a fresh clove of garlic and hit the power button! Don't forget to put the lid on first.
I know, I need a new blender. This one's pretty sad, but it least it still works. I just pour stuff out the side;) (I'll be taking donations for a new one. Please send your couch change, IRS refund check or student financial aid to: Mr. Woodman. Make sure and mark your envelope: The Cook Needs a New Blender).

Now I need to tell you, I roasted more tomatoes after that first batch. My friend, well, she told me to use three peppers and three tomatoes. Yeah, that was a bit hot for this fair skinned person, so I usually do two-three peppers and a whole bunch of tomatoes. Just start with a few, blend it a bit (don't forget to add some salt) and taste. If it's still too hot, add a few more tomatoes.


Yummy good, homemade roasted salsa with  a bit of kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment