Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Five Seasons

Growing up I was always taught (as I'm sure everyone was) there are four seasons; spring, summer, fall, and winter. Since moving to Washington, I have since learned there are actually five! Yep, I've been taught wrong. We've all been lied to. In between winter and spring, is the season of "Mud."

All winter everything has been covered in snow. Things are finely warming up just a tad; enough that snow is starting to melt, ground is starting to thaw and now the rain comes. Warmer temperature (thaw) plus rain (and melting snow) equals mud!


Let me illustrate....
This is a red roan appaloosa mare, normally mostly white with red varnish marks.
This horse is a good color for the season of "Mud". She is grulla, but gets this chocolate (also called "dirt colored") coat in winter. So if she is dirty, *whispers* you can't tell.
This is a beautiful buckskin (yeah right!). At this point I would call him "camouflage".
This is my stately (right now portly) half Arab. He is a light grey, hence his name "Silver".
He likes to do things thoroughly. When you get dirty, cover all sides!
Up close and personal. Yep, that's ground in dirt!
Another view of the grim, mud, dirt. Do you know how long it will take me to get this light horse clean again? Oh, what's the point right now!
This is my Arabian. She is too regal and elegant to get dirty. Or if she did she wouldn't tell you. ;)
(Actually I think she looks pretty good for a horse that will turn 29 in about three weeks.)

Can I just give a little endorsement here? I love my #MuckBoots! I've never had a pair, but finally splurged last year and bought some. I no longer need snow boots and rubber boots. These Muck boots get me through  four of the five seasons; fall, winter, spring and the season of "Mud".





No comments:

Post a Comment