Wednesday, June 4, 2014

From start to finish

This time of year my Excaliber dehydrator is put to good use. I want to use what I grow. And depending on the food, sometimes the best way to preserve it, is to dry it. Who doesn't like to eat the own food?!

Which is what I'm doing today; dehydrating oregano.

I have some raised beds in the garden and one has yummy, pungent oregano flourishing. 
So I picked a big bowlful; washed it and dryed it.
Now for the time consuming part, picking it off the stems. I suppose I could throw stems and all into the dehydrator, but this is how I do it.
Next I put the leaves on my mesh trays, spread it out a bit, and slid it in the ol' Excaliber!
Now we let the dehydrator do it's work!

The end product looks like this. 
You just can't beat fresh picked, home grown and dried, herbs for cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment