Monday, June 6, 2011

Rhubarb

Rhubarb had never been one of my favorite foods growing up. I mean red celery looking stuff with a tangy flavor?! But I've learned it's not so bad after all. And with bunches of it growing wild and free in the old horse pasture (that may be another blog) I thought I needed to do something with it. Can't waste free food even if it is rhubarb!
So I had the guys cut some on their way back up to the house.




I did freeze some last year. But the trouble with freezing food is; sometimes it gets lost in the freezer, I forget about it and it goes to waste. Plus if the power goes out, which it does occasionally, things in the freezer can turn to mush and end up on the compost pile. This year I decided to try canning it. When I see a can of something on my pantry shelf, I'm more likely to use it.

The recipe says to wash, cut and add sugar then let it set in a cool place for 3-4 hours. Doesn't it look pretty?
After that you just have to bring it to a slow boil, cook for a few minutes, place it in your canning jars and water bath them for 15 minutes. Then voila'!.....canned rhubarb, ready to be made into a crisp, mixed with strawberries for a yummy sauce over shortcake or whatever!




And with a little of the saved fresh rhubarb I whipped up a batch of yummy muffins! Think I'll make some more of those today.

2 comments:

  1. Does it have to be pressure canned? It sure looks pretty in the jars!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ball book just says water bath for 15 min..easy!

    ReplyDelete